On Sunday 26 January 2020 we held an Extraordinary General Meeting of the Panhellenic Association of Translators (PEM) to present our draft bill proposal and accompanying documentation on legal equivalency of our stamp to our members.
Proposal for reforms in translation and interpreting
The Extraordinary General Meeting approved the overall proposal on how official translations and official interpreting in Greece should be radically reformed. The proposal will soon be submitted to the public authorities.
The key points of our proposal are:
- Making “Official Translator” and “Official Interpreter” protected titles.
- Establishing a National Official Translation and Interpretation System run by an independent authority.
- Introducing a single National Official Translators and Interpreters Register, with common rules and codes of conduct.
- Safeguarding the acquired rights of anyone who already has rights.
- Setting up a special register of working languages of limited supply, with lower formal entry requirements.
Read our detailed proposal for translation and interpreting in Greece.
New Year’s cake cutting
During one of the breaks of the Panhellenic Association of Translators’ Extraordinary General Meeting, we observed the Greek custom of cutting a cake for the New Year.
The slice with the lucky coin went to our member George Ntales, who won an annual membership to PEM.