Greece Seen Through the Medium of Translation
The need for a national translation policy
The speakers at the press conference were:
- Dr Henry Liu, 13th President of the International Federation of Translators (FIT-IFT) and honorary advisor to PEM.
- Fotis Fotopoulos, President of PEM.
- Maria Mousafiri, member of the Board of FIT Mundus (2014-2017) and honorary member of PEM.
In short, PEM told the assembled journalists that:
- Thousands of good jobs could be created in the translation and interpreting sectors.
- The use of Modern Greek is a strategic advantage for Greece in the 21st century. It needs to be preserved and fostered as a working language.
- Improving Greece’s international position means bolstering its complement of translators.
- The country has skilled personnel in the international trade and technology sectors, but that advantage is being cancelled out by the lack of a national translation policy.
- The Ministry of Foreign Affairs’ Translation Service operates as a state within a state, using its own network of “associated translators”.
Download and read PEM’s press release about how Greece is seen through the medium of translation (only available in Greek).