Continuing Professional Development (CPD)
Each year, the Panhellenic Association of Translators (PEM) offers its members training webinars as part of its continuing professional development (CPD) programme. The webinars are taught by distinguished speakers from Greece and abroad. Topics cover a wide range of areas of special interest to translators, interpreters, subtitlers and editors.
Download the new CPD programme 2021 (only available in Greek).
What the CPD programme offers you
The programme has been developed to help you improve the services you offer your clients.
- Get trained on new technologies (e.g. translation tools, glossaries/termbases).
- Keep up to date with current issues of interest (e.g. GDPR).
- Improve your communication with your colleagues and clients.
- Ensure your skills and knowledge are sufficient and current enough to provide quality services to your clients.
- Access better career opportunities.
- Ensure your qualifications are in line with market trends.
- Gain a competitive edge.
- Open up new horizons into other services available on the market.
At the start of your career
- Acquire useful tools for the job market (e.g. guidelines on writing a CV, finding clients, etc.).
- Gain a better understanding of the profession and its impact on your work.
- Get an opportunity to exchange views with colleagues.
Who the CPD programme is for
All PEM members have access to the professional development programme at low or no cost:
- Associate members – free access to the entire programme.
- Full members – free access to panel presentations (one per month).
- Sustaining members – access to the entire programme by paying an additional €60 per year. Offer: If you pay next year’s membership before the end of this year, you earn a 50% discount on the sustaining member dues (that is 30€ instead of 60€). To become a sustaining member, contact our secretariat.
- Speakers-members – free access to the entire programme.
- Volunteers – free access to the entire programme.
How to register for the CPD programme
You are automatically registered in the CPD programme:
- If you are an associate member, a speaker-member or a volunteer.
- If you are a full member, but only for 5 specific webinars every year.
If you want to access the entire programme, you must become a sustaining member. To become a sustaining member, contact our secretariat.
How to take part in the webinars
The webinars are held online through the Zoom platform. Participation is possible via computer, tablet or smartphone.
They are usually held every other Wednesday of the month, 19:00-20:00 (EET).
A couple of days before each webinar, you get an email with a link to register for the specific webinar.
Download and read the Terms for attending PEM webinars (only available in Greek).
Who teaches the webinars
The CPD programme speakers are distinguished professionals from Greece and abroad.
They fall into 1 of 3 categories:
- Speakers-members of PEM with extensive experience in training translators and interpreters.
- International speakers with extensive experience in training translators and interpreters.
- Greek speakers with experience in other sectors, such as communication, customer management and others.
Why attend webinars
To retain your PEM membership status, you are required to complete 16 hours of training each year.
Every 3 years, you must prove that you have successfully completed 16 hours of training on average each year, in accordance with Article 5C of PEM’s Articles of Association.
PEM’s CPD programme helps you accumulate the necessary training hours at little or no cost.
How the CPD programme is evaluated
We endeavour to continually improve the CPD programme through regular evaluations of the webinars we offer.
At the end of each webinar, we ask participants to fill out an online Training Evaluation Form.
The form includes 10 questions and a box for comments. It is available in Greek or in English, depending on the language of the speaker.
The results of the evaluation are:
- Forwarded to the speakers as feedback.
- Sent to the Board members to be taken into account when planning the new CPD programme for the following year.
Download the new CPD programme 2022 (only available in Greek).