We created the Panhellenic Association of Translators (PEM) to promote linguistic professions in society and the economy. We strive to highlight the value of interpreters and translators and safeguard their professional rights.
What is PEM’s mission
We promote excellence in and the safe and beneficial performance of translation, interpretation and other linguistic professions in every area of social and economic activity.
To this end, collective efforts are required for:
- Ensuring better working conditions.
- Safeguarding linguistic professions.
- Protecting the intellectual, ethical and professional rights of our members, regardless of their place of work.
PEM accepts as members interpreters and translators who:
- Have Greek as one of their working language.
- Practise the profession legally.
Find out more about our actions.
How we promote linguistic professions
To promote linguistic professions in society and the economy, we:
- Strengthen the international presence of the modern Greek language.
- Are a voice for linguistic professions.
- Enhance our members’ prestige through strategic choices and individual actions.
- Intervene through raising objections, formulating positions and proposals, and providing practical solutions when the role of translation is undermined or when our professional rights are infringed.
What our statutory objectives are
According to our Articles of Association, our objectives include:
- Enshrining the protected titles (“translator”, “interpreter” and others) through legislation and/or regulation.
- Striving to serve as an official representative of the linguistic professions, and exert pressure on organisations and bodies which impact on the linguistic professions and their practitioners.
- Endeavouring to create a unified professional register of recognised professionals.
Read our Articles of Association.
How we support democracy
We actively seek to deepen democracy within PEM. Even if our members cannot attend our annual General Meeting in person, we offer them the option of participating, voting and getting elected online.